3 Ways Geek & Pop Culture Have Influenced My Fashion and Overall Style.

by - 11:23 PM



Hey Nubians, 

"It's not about brand, it's about style"

When I was a young little girl, I used to wake up on Saturday mornings with my brothers to watch the X-Men animated series cartoons. Later, I'd get into the Batman and Spiderman animated series as well. This was my introduction to comicbooks too. I would also play video games: Mario 64, Tomb Raider, Crash Bandicoot, Nights, just to name a few. When I became about 15 years old, I started getting very interested in fashion & style and started separating myself from the crowd and trends to create my own vision through things that inspired me. That was the beginning of a long style, beauty & geek journey that is still evolving till this day.

Here are a few ways Comicbooks, Art, and Pop Culture have transformed my style... 

1) Confidence

I have always told my friends that there's a big difference between fashion and style. I think style is made up of attitude & courage. I grew up watching Super Heroes / Heroines and Villains on television and this helped me develop a certain kind of confident attitude. As a young girl, I gravitated towards female characters first and seeing strong females such as Wonder Woman, Batgirl, Jean Grey, or someone like Princess Mononoke from an anime film made me feel like I could overcome so much. Whether it was Jean Grey dealing with her Phoenix Saga, or Batgirl having to lie to her father the Commissioner all the time, these ladies were always overcoming hurdles and I found it so inspiring. Confidence in style is probably going to be your strongest allie... even if you feel a little crazy you must own what you do.










2) Color

Boom! Pow! Wham! Bang! I am such an enormous fan of color and making a statement. When I wear black too often I feel like my soul starts turning off. I love fashionable colors and textures and things that POP in general. It's fun and different and allows your imagination to run wild. I always admired Roy Lichtenstein artwork and how cool yet tragic some of the pieces were. I always had so much color around me within art and comicbooks. It stuck with me throughout life for sure. Color therapy is real and it will brighten up your day. Betty & Veronica from Archie Comics had such unique, cool and colorful style and probably the most relatable to everyday wear. I would enjoy their looks just as much as the stories. 














3) Conventions
I started going to New York Comic Con at the Javitz Center around 2004 or 2005 maybe? Reed Pop didn't run the convention yet, I'm not sure who did. But Ever since I started going I never stopped. The cosplayers inspired me so much because they were building amazing costumes from scratch just like fashion designers make clothing. Some of the costumes I saw must have included so much imagination and creative technique. I remember witnessing so much Lolita and Harajuku style and being blown away by this Steam Punk panel I went to around 2006. It was sooooo inspiring and made me want to step my game up in both cosplaying and fashion. If you think you can't get inspired by a Comic Con convention you're terribly mistaken. Step out of your comfort zone and try something new. You'll thank me later for the cultural explosion you'll witness. 

















These are just the 3 top reasons I can think of off the top of my head. In reality there are endless amounts of ways geek and pop culture have influenced my style and I'm so happy about it. Always pay attention to the things around you. Slow down and really look. They might influence you more than you think and change your life in all sorts of magical ways. 

Cheers! 

Xo Nubia Xo


You May Also Like

0 comments