Music Monday: What I've been Jamming To Lately.

by - 6:20 PM



Hey Nubians, 

I Love, Love, Love, Music!

As a writer and a creative enthusiast that dabbles in many art forms, music is one of the things that moves me deeply. The rhythm, beats & more importantly the lyrics speak to my soul. Music has been with me through the best of times and the worst of times. Have you ever felt like a song gets released just when you need it the most? The lyrics match your situation perfectly and you just keep replaying it over and over because it gives you goosebumps and you slowly start to feel tiny little hairs on your arms rise? Well, me too! It's almost like a hidden message that reminds me I'm not alone in my feelings if there are other people writing about it too. 

I haven't been listening to new music that much lately. I do, but just not too much. I'll be posting which songs I've been playing a lot lately and telling you why. Lately, I've been on a bit of an oldies binge. In my own personal opinion, music was a lot more perky, simplistic, and positive anywhere from the 50s to early 90s. But as I said prior, this is my own personal opinion. I'm sure there are tons and tons of underground artists I haven't been listing to lately that are hidden gems. 

Anyway... Here we go! This is what I've been jamming to this week. 

The Beach Boys: Kokomo


Gosh, when I hear this song I just want to pick up a Piña Colada and go lay under a palm tree somewhere. Kokomo was written by John Phillips (Lead Singer of the Mamas and Papas which I also enjoy listening to), Scott McKenzie, Mike Love, and Terry Melcher (Which was a target of the Mason Family who luckily went unharmed). This soothing song was performed by The Beach Boys. It was released July 18,1988. 

Fun Fact: A lot of people don't know that "Kokomo" in this song is not a real place. There are a lot of places called "Kokomo" around the world, but none of them is located off the Florida Keys. 

I've been particularly enjoying this classic song lately because I've been thinking of traveling around the end of this year and the majority of next year hopefully. Listening to this song and all of the places it mentions such as Aruba, Jamaica, Bermuda, Bahama, Key Largo, Montego, gets me super excited and inspired. A lot of people get annoyed by this song but you have to take it for what it is, just a short song with a catchy hook that's meant to make people happy. Imagine myself on an island with my fiance enjoying life just as we did in Kona, Hawaii late last year. 

Favorite Lyric: Oh I want to take you down to Kokomo, we'll get there fast and then we'll take it slow.

Coldplay: Adventure of a Lifetime.


I could listen to almost any Coldplay song and lose myself. He is a top-notch performer and amazing artist. Adventure of a Lifetime was written by Chris Martin along with Guy Berryman, Jonny Buckland, Will Champion, Mikkel S. Eriksen, and Tor Erik Hermansen. It was released November 6, 2015. 

This song not only has beautiful composition but its lyrics are very inspiring. To me, the song represents a journey where you find your own magic and path through life. It's a very addicting song you'll want to listen to over and over again. 

Favorite Lyric: We are legends every day that’s what she told me.

The Archies - Sugar, Sugar.



I've totally been on an Archie Comics binge lately. I've been reading the Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, watching Riverdale and even rewatching some of the old Sabrina The Teenage Witch episodes on Hulu when I'm bored at night and want to fall asleep to something. Great fashion on that show too by the way. "Sugar, Sugar" is a great little song written by written by Jeff Barry and Andy Kim.  It gets you in the mood of celebrating crushing on someone and being in love. It compares wanting someone as bad as you may want something sweet like Candy. The song was released May 24, 1969, and recorded by the virtual band the Archies. This girl is never too old for some bubblegum pop! 

Favorite Lyric: I just can't believe the loveliness of loving you.

What songs are moving your soul this week? Cheers! 

Xo Nubia Xo 

You May Also Like

0 comments