Beer Geek: Awesome Ale Brewed and IPA Beers I Drank This Weekend Review.

by - 3:53 AM



Hey Nubians,

I've only been in love with a beer bottle and a mirror. 
-Sid Vicious

This weekend I purchased a bunch of cool, interesting beers. I've always enjoyed going to beer tastings but I never really blogged about it. But as I've evolved through the years, so must my blog. I'm having a lot more fun with things like this. *I'm over 21 years old and please always drink responsibly*

I've been drinking beer for a long time. You can say I've had a long history with this alcoholic beverage. My dad is Dominican and boy oh boy do they enjoy a nice cold brew. Particularly an ice cold Presidente Pilsner Beer. When I was younger my dad would let me taste his beer all the time by taking a baby sip. I guess you could say it's in my blood ha ha. As I got older, I met my best friend and she's Irish and also obsessed with beer! Follow her instagram @TheBeerBunny where she rates beers. It's hard for me to not love tasting specialty beers or craft beers when the people I love, love them too. 

I went to my local Smiths Supermarket over the weekend and picked up these bad boys. Read below to see what I thought and what I rate them. 




First Up...

Elysian Space Dust IPA
Style: Imperial IPA
Alcohol by volume (ABV): 8.20%

It's funny, this is the first one I tried and I think it ended up being my favorite of the bunch probably due to personal preference. The Elysian Space Dust IPA pours clear light gold and taste sort of rich and bittersweet. You can taste citrus, pine, and a nice hint of malt. Honestly I picked it up mainly because I wanted to try something new and the packaging caught my eye. I was pleasantly surprised and it was freaken delicious! 

Rating 4.5/5 

Squatters Hop Rising Double India Pale Ale
Style: Imperial IPA
Alcohol by volume (ABV): 9%

I almost felt like I can smell the hops more in this beer than I could taste them but I still enjoyed it overall. It did have a stronger alcohol taste to it which probably explains the 'Double IPA' title. It was very drinkable and the type of 6 pack I would pick up to hang with friends on a chill night. Nice citrus taste that didn't feel too overwhelming. 

Rating 4.2/5 



Kona Brewing Koko Brown
Style: American Brown Ale
Alcohol by volume (ABV): 5.50%

This beer had a very distinctive flavor. It has toasted coconut blended into each brew. I liked it but I would only pick up a 6 pack of this if I was going to be with people I knew loved beer and a nice brown ale. It could be a bit overwhelming for people that aren't used to exploring different tasting beer. I almost felt like I could taste some chocolate & caramel in there. It made my taste buds dance for sure and I would drink it again. 

Rating 3.9/5 



Wild Blue Premium Blueberry Lager
Style: Fruit/Vegetable Beer
Alcohol by volume (ABV): 8.00%

I must say, this may have been my first time buying a Fruit/Vegetable Beer in my own home and I think it's an acquired taste that's not for me. The Blueberry is VERY present to the point where I felt like I was almost drinking juice and it tasted too sweet for me like blueberry syrup. If you like sweet drinks, you will enjoy this for sure. It is definitely what I would consider to be the lighter side of beer. You may enjoy it for Spring/Summer. Pours out a redish color. 

Rating 2.5/5 


Last but not least... 


Squatters Bumper Crop Honey Ale

Style: Herbed/Spiced Beer
Alcohol by volume (ABV): 5.50%

I picked this beer up because the bottle says "Ale Brewed with Honey and Lavender" and that sounded immensely relaxing to me. Like the Spa Day of beers or something ha ha. It was pretty tasty and I did like it very much. The bottle has this attractive kind of cool vintage look to it. I really did taste the lavender and other floral flavors. It was light and crisp. It tasted a tiny bit sweet but not in an overwhelming way like the Blueberry Lager did to me. It's a unique beer and definitely worth a try.  

Rating 4.2/5 

I enjoyed sharing my 2 cents on these beers with you and hope you'll be encouraged to taste one of them. Maybe next time I'll do a taste video with my drink! Could be fun. We'll see how it goes. 

It's the perfect time to explore new drinks with Spring/Summer upon us. I'm sure you'll enjoy a gorgeous outdoor bar or two.

Cheers! 

Xo Nubia Xo 

You May Also Like

0 comments