Monday Muse: Lucille Ball (I Love Lucy)

by - 11:07 PM

Hello Nubians, 

I'd like to introduce a new segment on my site "Monday Muse". I will post about woman who inspire me and occasionally men (I get very inspired by menswear) and write some quick facts about them, a few quotes, their style, and let you know why they inspire me.

I thought I'd kick off the segment with someone I really admire...

Name - Lucille Désirée Ball.
D.O.B - August 6, 1911.
Occupation - Actress, comedian, model, film executive.
Died - April 26, 1989 (aged 77)


My Favorite Lucille Ball Quotes

"One of the things I learned the hard way was that it doesn't pay to get discouraged. Keeping busy and making optimism a way of life can restore your faith in yourself."

"Love yourself first and everything else falls into line. You really have to love yourself to get anything done in this world."

"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced."

"Heaven, no. I was shy for several years in my early days in Hollywood until I figured out that no one really gave a damn if I was shy or not, and I got over my shyness."

"The secret of staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age."



Lucille Ball which most may know from her hit TV show "I Love Lucy" was a very, very, inspiring women. Determined to become an actress she dropped out of High School at age 15 and enrolled in a drama school in New York City... talk about knowing what you want right?!

In 1950 Lucy and her husband Desi Arnez (which sadly they eventually divorced) started a new venture with  Desilu Productions. It started as a radio shoe and in October 1951 they started a television comedy series, I Love Lucy. The show starred the two of them and it was a comedy based around their real lives as a couple. The show was a hit for 6 years.

Anyway, a couple of reasons I personally love Lucy is because watching her show and reading about her I could tell she was a total force to be reckoned with. I remember reading a quote where she said "How I Love Lucy was born? We decided that instead of divorce lawyers profiting from our mistakes, we'd profit from them." To me that demonstrates a woman who can take an utterly terrible situation and not let it define her... basically she was able to flip the switch at all times.

Lucy was also a pioneer, I believe she was the first woman to own her very own film studio. A lot of people believed Lucille Ball would never make it as an actress but she didn't let anything stop her. She also inspired countless amounts of women to pursue comedy at a time when it wasn't very common and till this day. Determined, driven and the type of inspiration and woman to look up to that young girls need today. Beautiful in and out. 

Lucy's Style
I don't have much to say about Lucy's style because these photos speak for themselves. She was a classy lady and a total fox. She sported a lot of 1950s glam and knew how to work it. She wore a lot of dresses with peplums and polkadots, pillbox hats, large belts that cinched the waist and glamorous dresses.

Her hair always looked fabulous and she always sported red lips (Lucy was a cover girl for Max Factor in the 30s and 40s)



Funny, beautiful and didn't put up with crap from anyone... WHAT A STAR.

Oh and P.S. Who could forget her signature fire red hair.


Xo Nubia Xo

Please follow the Nubia Network for more of what I'm up to. Instagram/Twitter/Youtube/Facebook.

You May Also Like

0 comments