My 5 Minute Chat With Animator Bill Plympton at New York Comic Con.

by - 9:00 PM



Hey Nubians,

As some of you may know, I am a big fan of Mr. Bill Plympton, or as he appeared at New York Comic Con, cowboy Bill. It all started with a young little Nubia admiring the work he did for MTV, shapes transforming, popping out of weird places right before my very eyes in cartoon style. In later years, I started following his career. From short to full animated films, commercials, music videos... some of my favorites being "Your Face", "Hair High", "Guard Dogs", "Kanye West: Heard 'Em Say, Version 2". Multiple Simpsons intros, "Tiffany: Death on the Runway" and much, much, more.

I took a few minutes at New York Comic Con to catch up with the delightfully down to earth Mr. Plympton and was surprised that he still remembered me even though I had moved to Vegas for over 3 years and didn't attended any convention he was a part of. "Nubia... Ah, fashion right?". I think the last time I saw him was at the premiere of "Tiffany: Death on the Runway" which was absolutely fantastic by the way. One very cool thing about Bill Plympton is that he will ALWAYS asks you if you're animating and if you do, he wants to see and know more. He's always scouting young talent and giving great advice. I told him I just draw for fun and that what I'm really focusing on is writing. I have just left my traditional job in marketing to focus on a novel and writing in general after all. 

I told Bill that unfortunately I haven't gotten a chance to see his film "Revengeance" which he worked on with animator Jim Lujan yet, but I did recently watch the music videos he animated for Jackie Greene and I love them! They're a lot of fun. Bill animated both "Modern Lives" and "Good Advice" on Jackie Greene's THE MODERN LIVES VOL. 1 LP which contains 6 tracks and guess what? He told me he was going to animate all of the videos which means 4 more animated goodies to come! I believe Bill & Jackie make a great pair because Greene's lyrics tell a story that go well with Bill's animation and style in my opinion. 





While I was at Bill's table chatting for a bit, a little girl passed by and randomly told me she preferred Pokémon cartoons over Bill ha ha super random! I was part shocked but couldn't help but be intrigued. First off, what little kid doesn't like Pokémon cartoons? Secondly, she has balls and a "I don't give a fuck attitude" for a little girl which leads me to believe she will absolutely be a Bill fan in the future, she just doesn't know it yet. Tricks on you little kid.

After a short and sweet catch up, I walked away with a Hair High book, 2 Bill sketches and a smile on my face. 

I recently saw Plympton on a Now This video where he talks about animating Donald Trump and a new project he's working on involving Trump too. I very much enjoy the Humpty Dumpty wall reference. 



Bill Plympton is involved in so much and if you aren't familiar with his work, get with it! Visit his website 'Plymptoons' because he's awesome, edgy, creative, outspoken, raw, true to his style, and is fiercely dedicated to what he does. 

Cheers! 

Xo Nubia Xo 

You May Also Like

0 comments