Interview with Designer of Pammy Cakes Boutique (New York Comic Con)

by - 9:28 PM

Hello Nubians,

While I attended New York Comic Con 2013, I hung out a lot at the Pammy Cakes Boutique booth. It was an explosion of cuteness, interesting clothing, accessories and I could almost bet it was absolutely the booth with the best rug in the convention ha ha (white faux fur). I forgot to mention the cool people, sweetness and positive vibes all over.

I get so excited when I see new items over at Pammy Cakes Boutique because much like the designer, I'm a big fan of Japanese fashion & trends (I'm a big fan of Harajuku and Lolita style). From the adorable characters with big watery eyes, to awesome kitten ears, earrings that look so real you want to eat them (pastries), skirts that are full and ruffled with adorable prints on them, Did I mention lots of lace?! #swoon. If you like to have a fun and colorful sense of style I recommend you head over to Pammy Cakes Boutique and take a peek now. This is the type of clothing that can brighten up your day and make you realize you are NEVER too old to incorporate a youthful style to your wardrobe.

One of the things I like most about New York Comic Con is discovering new brands, artist and writers. I happen to be friends with Pamela Jackson, designer of Pammy Cakes Boutique and I asked her if she could take a moment and answer a few questions I had. I must say, I feel like I got to know her way better after reading this myself. Learn about her interesting journey from being born into a military family to living in Japan. See what inspired this talented beauty to chase after her vision and dreams.

(The designer of Pammy Cakes, Pamela Jackson at her booth)

Kawaii!




Pamela, Myself and Jasmin from Vintage Vandalizm.

NN: Pam I love your site and how it looks like a real like little shop! Can you tell me a little bit about yourself and how Pammy Cakes Boutique came to be? (Where your from, school, what lead you to this business)

PCB: Awe, that's so sweet of you to say! First, thanks so much for reaching out!! :)

As a child from a military family, I've had the opportunity to travel to quite a few places all over the world. One of those places being Okinawa, Japan. Living there at such a young age, I believe the culture and pop-friendly lifestyle made such an impression on me that when I started my company, my tastes gravitated toward that very sweet, youthful style. With that cultural imprint, and about 5-6 years of Fine Arts classes, Graphic design courses and fashion school, Pammy Cakes Boutique was practically begging to become a reality. But it wasn't until about 4 depressing years into the corporate fashion world did I realize I wasn't accomplishing what I came to New York to do. So after about a year's time, a few life changing events, and sudden unemployment, I knew that then was a better time than any to start a company (you can only go up from unemployment! lol) That's when I began gathering items from around the house and handmade my first accessory (Mimi Bow Bracelet).



NN: What do you hope to accomplish with your clothing and/or accessories?

PCB: Because my pieces are on the very sweet side, often littered with bows, hearts, and cupcakes (my icon), my goal is to allow females of any age feel light-hearted and super girly...and most of all, Kawaii (cute)!


NN: I can see there's a very animated and perhaps Japanese inspiration behind your line... Can you tell me a bit more about that? Are there any people i.e. artist or designers who have been an inspiration to you? Where does your inspiration come from?

PCB: Oh yes, I have so many inspirations! Many don't necessarily reflect Pammy Cakes per se, but they carry the same energy. So I will only name a few... The number one inspiration is Japanese Sweet Lolita Street Fashion. I just love the frilliness and cuteness of that genre. Also Sofia Coppola's movie Marie-Antoinette. Even though this is set in the Baroque era, it carries just about that same feeling of "the world is at your fingertips, so why wouldn't you enjoy every nibble of it?" And lastly, Betsey Johnson. Even though her style is much wilder and vibrant an the sweetness of my line, she encompasses the Marie-Antoinette lifestyle (where Japanese Lolita draws inspiration).



NN: New York Comic Con is a magical place. Is this your first time being a vendor? 

PCB: This is my first time vending on my own. Last year was my actual first CC vending experience, with my two good fashion friends at Gla.mar.ous and Centennial Compass. I've learned a lot about managing a table since the first time, but I still have a lot more to learn.



NN: What do you enjoy the most about New York Comic Con and would you go back?

PCB: Well, there are a lot of things I enjoy about Comic Con. But what I think I enjoy the most is the energy in the room. You have a free pass to be whomever, or whatever you want. And you're immediately accepted. Your fantasy is the reality.



NN: I've seen from your photos on instagram and facebook that you like to cosplay at Comic Con and other events. Do you incorporate your own clothing? How long have you been doing this?

PCB: I LOVE LOVE LOVE to Cosplay! Probably more than anything in the world, truthfully. I love the planning that goes into an outfit, the bumps and set-backs of solving costume malfunctions, all of it. And yes, this is quite an expensive hobby... so if I have space to incorporate a non handmade item, I will definitely bring in a piece that I can wear on a regular day. One great example is sometimes I will Cosplay as Yoko Littner from Gurren Lagann. Since her outfit consists mostly of a pair of black shorts and a bikini top, I just wore a pair of denim shorts from the past Summer season, and sewn flames on a bikini top I already owned. Add a wig (which I bought at CC), her accessories, and a handmade over-sized sniper rifle, and you've got yourself an Anime Cosplay outfit :)



NN: Where do you see yourself in 5 years? 

PCB: I really hate this question (lol). Only because I don't really plan that far in advance. I mean, I have a vague I idea what I want to accomplish, but I give the decisions and goals in my immediate future the most attention. That way I can keep the vague goal in mind, while I whittle away at the smaller goals, that will ultimately accomplish that goal 5 years down the line.



NN: Quick questions...

Favorite Cartoon? Hardest. Question. Ever. I love sooo many now, and practically grew up on them watching Nickelodeon. But if I were to only choose absolutely one, I'd have to say Jem And The Holograms.
Favorite Wig Color? Pink! Fo sho..
Favorite Accessory? Currently, fluffy cat ears
Vanilla or Chocolate? Chocolate
Zombies or Vampires? Oh man.. I can't choose. They're both dead, right? Heck, Vamps are so much sexier!
Pink or Black? Black :P

Thanks so much to Pamela for taking the time to answer these questions and I wish her the best of luck on her journey. I hope you all enjoyed this interview and walk away with something from it. 

Stay up-to-date with Pammy Cakes Boutique by following their social channels here => Facebook, Instagram, Twitter


Xo Nubia Xo


Follow the Nubia Network on your right hand side, Thank you. 

You May Also Like

0 comments