Loving The Girl Power Lately On My Favorite TV Shows.

by - 5:51 PM


GIRLS RULE THE WORLD!

The Ladies from some of my favorite TV shows such as The Flash, Jessica Jones, Riverdale and possibly Charmed, have been kicking ass lately! It's so much fun to watch how the women's movement is all over the place. Literally, everywhere I look, pure magic. I love my comicbook shows. Marvel comics, DC comics & Archie Comics are working on some real gems. Even Charmed eventually released a comicbook published by Zenescope Entertainment. 


So honestly guys... I've been on some geek overload stuff lately. I'm not really complaining at all. I've been hibernating from the world a bit and catching up on my favorite novels, working on my writing because it's about damn time, and for fun and relaxation, I light candles, drink tea, and keep up with my favorite TV shows. 

Here are my highlights this week on how women have been kicking ass: 

!! POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD !! BEWARE. 

1) The Flash: Run Iris, Run.

Iris West Allen (Candice Patton) displayed some real boss babe power and determination on This week's Flash. Matthew AKA Melting Pot (guest star Leonardo Nam), accidentally gave her all of Barry's abilities and she fully became the flash. Let's call her 'Purple Flash' because of the cool color of her lighting (my favorite color). Barry had to be at the lab to take over Iris's job and it showed that although she's not always out in the field, her role on the team is crucial and she's probably just as stressed out as everyone else. 

Though she was nervous when facing their new foe this week, she suited up and did everything in her power to be the best Flash she could be. Speaking of suits, for a quick design, not bad Cisco, not bad at all. 

Iris trained, put out a fire more than once, and even created a stellar tidal wave using her speed which Barry has never done before (cough, cough). Fun stuff! You go girl!


Confidence in a smile. 


Training day. 


The "I'm going to beat you." face. 


Smooth Moves. 

2) Jessica Jones. 

When I started the first few episodes of season 2 of Jessica Jones on Netflix, I wasn't too convinced. I thought it was kind of slow and boring compared to having Killgrave around last season. But then suddenly, the more I watched, the more I got sucked in and changed my mind about it not being that good. Some people won't like how much character development is in this season... it's a lot to take in. I believe it was a smart move for the show and crucial for it having more successful seasons to come. Now you have much more motive behind everyone's character for future storylines. You Know what else I loved about season 2 of Jessica Jones? STRONG WOMEN. 



Jessica Jones (Krysten Ritter) is always caught up in some sort of emotional rollercoaster. We already knew the girl has been brainwashed and even raped before. She still manages to be strong and even though she often acts like she doesn't care about anything or anyone, she does. I like how Jessica's character was written for this show because I find her relatable. Sometimes we go through shitty things and we just want to say 'FUCK IT' to everything. That's REAL LIFE, but we always have to find ways to pull through, forgive those who deserve to be forgiven and move on. 

I liked learning more about Jessica's backstory besides Killgrave and learning why she's been so closed off to people. We get to see her grow a lot emotionally this season. 


Goodness, gracious I wanted to slap Trish Walker this season. I'm still not sure Trish wasn't one of the villains herself. Ok, I know she wasn't... but it was sure questionable sometimes. I would say the only cool thing about Trish this season, was seeing her be so damn determined! I mean like, crazy determined. She sets her mind to something and will not let go. It was also funny seeing her dressed as an adult Patsy. Her determination isn't always pretty... this goes back to me wanting to slap her all season long. This was also a great season for Trish, and Rachael Taylor (which I do like) does a marvelous job with her role on the show. 

You see the dark side of Trish Walker and learn why she's so obsessed with being a serious journalist and losing that 'Pop Star' image so many people still have of her. Every demon has their birthday. 


What can I say about Jeryn Hogarth this season? She talks a lot about women empowerment her self. She came from a trailer park and climbed the corporate ladder all the way off to live a luxurious lifestyle. We learn this season that she is diagnosed with ASL which at first... showed a very vulnerable side to her, but that didn't last long. She quickly turns ruthless and I think she's ready to do anything to get cured. I think Jeri is going to be a HUGE part of season 3. 

Jeri is unapologetic and displays an attitude and persona they usually only give men on TV. Her use of power and open sexuality are very intriguing to watch. Carrie-Anne Moss is a superb Jeri. 


Lastly, this character which I will leave a mystery, for now, is also fierce. She's a great example of never knowing what life is going to throw you. 


3) Charmed Reboot



The new Charmed isn't out yet, but I wanted to mention my utter excitement about an all-Latina cast! Remember how I blogged about Latin America killing it at The Oscars? Now, this makes me so happy too! 

The series will star Madeleine Mantock of British/Afro-Latina descent. Sarah Jeffrey which has  Mexican blood running through those veins and Melonie Diaz of Puerto Rican descent. 

The reboot follows three sisters who learn they are witches after their mother passes away. They quickly figure out they have to use their abilities to take down powerful demons. 

Mantock stars as Macy, a brilliant geneticist. Diaz plays Mel, an outspoken activist and Jeffery plays Madison, the baby of the trio. 

Major brujeria vibes with an all-Latina cast? Guess we'll have to wait and see. 

4) Hey Cheryl Blossom. 

Cheryl Blossom (Madelaine Petsch) has literally been blossoming on Riverdale as of late. She's always been very present on the show, but now we're seeing a new relationship between her and Toni Topaz. She 'came out of the closet' to Toni the week before. I think she's bisexual. Nevertheless, more screen time and a better narrative is something we needed for Cheryl. Interested in seeing where they go with this storyline. 

CW's  Riverdale has not been shy to show girl-on-girl or boy-on-boy action on the show. It's refreshing because I feel like the majority of shows that do this, usually use an older age group. High school is a time where you learn a lot about yourself and who you're going to be as an adult. 




Cheers to all the power women all over our television screens and the real ones all over the world. Remember, it's often these characters that influence the youth of today when they can see a bit of themselves in the character. Let's hope they copy the good qualities. 

Cheers! 

XO Nubia Xo 

You May Also Like

0 comments