Halloween's John Carpenter Is Giving Me Energy To Get Through My Week.

by - 10:18 PM


Horror fanatics all over were leaping for joy when Universal Pictures revealed they would release two Halloween sequels "Halloween Kills" on October 16, 2020, and "Halloween Ends" on October 15, 2021. Last years Halloween movie was a direct sequel to John Carpenter's original 1978 film. Carpenter returned to executive produce and composed the score for "Halloween." Speaking of composing, that's what this post is about. I love John Carpenter tracks and often feel that his musical skills are overlooked. 



Sometimes when I need a pick-me-up usually around the beginning of the week, or I need to get in better spirits, I like to listen to John Carpenter's 'Lost Themes.' 'Lost Themes' was Carpenter's first stand-alone album released by Sacred Bones Records. He worked with his son Cody Carpenter and his godson Daniel Davies on the album. It was released on February 3, 2015. 

When talking about 'Lost Themes' Carpenter stated: 


"Lost Themes was all about having fun. It can be both great and bad to score over images, which is what I’m used to. Here there were no pressures. No actors asking me what they’re supposed to do. No crew waiting. No cutting room to go to. No release pending. It’s just fun. And I couldn’t have a better set-up at my house, where I depended on Cody [Carpenter] and Daniel [Davies] to bring me ideas as we began improvising. The plan was to make my music more complete and fuller, because we had unlimited tracks. I wasn’t dealing with just analogue anymore. It’s a brand new world. And there was nothing in any of our heads when we started other than to make it moody."

It's interesting reading Carpenter's statement because it's EXACTLY how the album makes me feel. It's so much fun and full of life. Strangely, it also helps me focus. 'Lost Themes' captivating rhythms mixed with eerie synthesizers send you down a vortex you want to stay in forever. He needs to write a score for Stranger Things asap!

You can check out 'Lost Themes' on YouTube HERE or if you like to collect vinyl, click over HERE

You May Also Like

0 comments